The Chairman of MIO-ECSDE Prof. Michael Scoullos goes to Gafsa, Tunisia, in support of an EU funded project dedicated to the historical Gafsa oasis (certified by the FAO in 2011 as a Globally Important Agricultural Heritage System-GIAHS). A MIO-ECSDE member organization, the Association for the Protection of the Medina of Gafsa, in its long standing efforts to preserve the oasis for current and future generations, is through this project promoting income-generating activities for the promotion of its products and by-products by women and youth groups. A very successful national festival took place in Tunis last December (see a short film in Arabic). The goal is to halt the loss of biodiversity and the ‘shrinking’ of the oasis, enhance the local economy, increase awareness and support the local community by involving them in the sustainable development of their oasis. The role of MIO-ECSDE is to overview the progress of the project and provide technical assistance.
- Moving forward on EU measures to ensure a circular design of fishing gear for the reduction of environmental impacts 21/02/2020
- La Convention de Berne approuve pleinement les plaintes de MEDASSET concernant les habitats majeurs des tortues marines 12/02/2020
- Bern Convention fully embraces MEDASSET’s complaints about important sea turtle habitats 12/02/2020
- Call for applications for piloting marine litter prevention and mitigation measures in Mediterranean MPAs 28/01/2020
- Les ONG environnementales lancent un nouveau plan de sauvetage pour l’Europe afin de rendre nos océans sains d’ici 2030 28/01/2020