Together with eighteen other organizations from the EU, MIO-ECSDE was a key partner the FP7 project entitled MARLISCO “MARine Litter in Europe Seas: Social AwarenesS and CO-Responsibility”. MIO-ECSDE led the Awareness Raising & Education related component of the project and was also the Regional Node Leader for the Mediterranean.
MARLISCO’s overarching goal was to raise public awareness, facilitate dialogue and promote co-responsibility among the different actors, towards a joint vision for the sustainable management of marine litter across all European seas.
By developing innovative mechanisms and tools, MARLISCO aimed to effectively engage, inform and empower society, reaching the widest possible audience. Its activities included:
- A scoping study of the sources and trends regarding marine litter in each Regional Sea.
- A collection of best practices from all partner countries.
- A survey on the prevailing perceptions and attitudes of different stakeholders regarding marine litter.
- A European video contest for youngsters to collect their visions on the issue of marine litter and empower them as agents of change in society.
- National debates in 12 partner countries.
- Diversified, tailor-made national activities including exhibitions, workshops, festivals, clean ups, etc.
- A wealth of awareness raising & educational tools and activities including pedagogical materials, trainings, e-games, web-documentary, etc.
- Provincia di Teramo, Italy (Lead Partner)
- Coastal and Marine Union (EUCC), Netherlands
- Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science, United Kingdom
- University of Plymouth, United Kingdom
- European Plastics Converters, Belgium
- European Plastics Recyclers, Belgium
- MerTerre, France
- Regionalni Razvojni Center Koper, Slovenia
- University College Cork, National University of Ireland, Ireland
- Mare Nostrum, Romania
- Die Küsten Union Deutschland (EUCC-D), Germany
- IsoTech LtD, Cyprus
- Union of Bulgarian Black Sea Local Authorities, Bulgaria
- Plastics Europe AISBL, Belgium
- New University of Lisbon, Portugal
- Mediterranean Information Office for Environment, Culture and Sustainable Development, Greece
- Turkish Marine Research Foundation, Turkey
- Kommunernes Internationale Miljøorganisation, Denmark
- Honky Tonk Film, France
- Media Tools, France
Project Title: MARine Litter in Europe Seas: Social AwarenesS and CO-Responsibility
Project Reference: FP7-SiS-2011-1.0-1
Grant agreement no: 289042
Project Duration: 36 months from 1 June 2012 – 30 May 2015
Total EC Funding: 4.119.357 euros
- Level of completion 100% 100%