MIO-ECSDE was a key partner in the Consortium that implemented the EU funded Horizon 2020 Capacity Building/Mediterranean Environment Programme (H2020 CB/MEP).
The main objective of this project was to support the implementation of H2020 with a special focus on environmental mainstreaming. It aimed to address the following problems: low political priority given to the environment; insufficient integration of environment in the different sector policies (agriculture, tourism, transport or energy) and lack of inclusion of the different actors from local to international level; insufficient capacities and resources at institutional and civil society level. Beneficiary countries were: Albania, Algeria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Montenegro, Morocco, Palestine, Syria, Tunisia and Turkey.
Find more info at: www.h2020.net
- low political priority given to the environment ;
- insufficient integration of environment in the different sector policies (agriculture, tourism, transport or energy, water, industry, development etc) and lack of inclusion of the different actors from local to international level ;
- Insufficient capacities and resources at institutional and civil society level.
- WP1: Organisation of the Horizon 2020 Steering Groups and Sub-groups
- WP2: Assistance for the preparation of Euro-Med Ministerial Conferences
- WP3: Comprehensive programme of capacity building activities
- WP4: Elaboration of a Hot Spot Investment Programme for the West Balkans and Turkey as complementary to the MeHSIP (added with the IPA addendum to the initial contract)
- WP5: Communication and Dissemination activities
- Mediterranean Action Plan of the United Nations Environment Programme and its Regional Activity Centres and Programmes (UNEP/MAP and its RACs)
- National Waste Management Agency (ANGed)/Regional Solid Waste Exchange of Information and Expertise Network in Mashreq and Maghreb Countries (SWEEPNet)
- Umweltbundesamt GmbH – Austrian Environment Agency (AEA)
- Lebanese Ministry of Energy and Water – the General Directorate of Hydraulic and Electrical Resources (LMoEW)
- Hellenic Ministry for Environment, Energy and Climate Change
- UNESCO-IHE Institute for Water Education (UNESCO-IHE)
- Mediterranean Information Office for Environment, Culture and Sustainable Development (MIO-ECSDE)
- Arab Network for Environment and Development (RAED)
- WWF Mediterranean Programme Office (WWF MedPO)
- Association of Cities and Regions for Recycling and Sustainable Resource Management (ACR+)
- Arab Countries Water Utilities Association (ACWUA)
- Level of completion 100% 100%