The Declaration calls for governments, research and innovation funding institutions, and companies to:
- Implement full producer responsibility to ensure safe management of waste containing manufactured nanomaterials;
- Restrict transboundary movements of waste containing certain manufactured nanomaterials;
- Enable transparent quantification and characterization of waste flows containing manufactured nanomaterials through a European Union (EU)-wide public nano-product registry;
- Stimulate innovation on waste prevention;
- Foster the development of safe and effective recycling and disposal technologies for products containing manufactured nanomaterials;
- Develop and establish verifiable end-of-waste criteria for recyclable materials containing manufactured nanomaterials; and
- Innovators should explore how advanced properties of manufactured nanomaterials can be employed in support of the circular economy without introducing new environmental risks or aggravating existing ones.